We are approaching the first anniversary of the massive ice storm of 2013 that crippled our city. Households and businesses were without power for days; some right through Christmas. Are you ready for the next storm? Below is a list of things most experts agree you would need to safely see yourself and your family through the next ice/snow storm.
- Stock up on non-perishable foods, heating fuel and medications.
- Fill your bathtub and spare containers with water in case your electric water pump or the local water system goes out.
- Dress in layers and have a supply of extra blankets on hand.
- Close the doors of any unneeded rooms
- Make sure any extra heating source is in a well-ventilated area.
- Turn off main water valves to avoid any pipes bursting.
- Have a flashlight, a battery-powered radio and fresh batteries handy.
- Prepare older family members, friends or neighbors who live alone for the weather.
- STORE ENOUGH SUPPLIES TO GET EACH FAMILY MEMBER THROUGH THREE DAYS WITHOUT ELECTRICITY OR RUNNING WATER.